Tuesday, August 05, 2008

DKC in action

Take a look at this slam hand from yesterday.




Bidding commentary:

1H: 11-15, 5 carder

Sapan made a disciplined pass. Not strong enough for a diamond overcall. Not long enough for a diamond preempt.

2C: Natural, game force

It's interesting that Guthi chose to bid 2C rather than Jacoby 2NT. I would have chosen the latter.

3C: 4 card support, does not promise extras

3H: Showing heart support

3S: Showing a better than minimum hand and a 3 card spade fragment (question: how do I bid holding 4504?)

I love these shape-showing bids as compared to control-showing cue bids. One can always cuebid controls later.

4NT: Forget about cue bidding controls. Show me keycards. In hearts and clubs both!

We are playing double suit RKC (DKC for short) in double agreement situations. Guthi's hand is much improved by my 3514 shape (likely I have no values in diamonds, in effect we are playing with a thirty point deck). He bid 4NT intending to:
1) If I bid 5C showing 4 of 6 keycards, bid 6H
2) If I bid 5D showing 3 of 6 keycards, stop in 5H
3) If I bid 5S showing 2 of 6 keycards and the club queen, go and bang his head on the wall. Or my head.

5C: 4 of 6 keycards

Now Guthi knows my entire hand. Literally. My shape, my honours. There is space left for one more major jack somewhere which is anyway inconsequential.

6H: Only needs the club suit to come through, a good enough percentage to bid slam.


Play commentary:

Opponents led and continued diamonds for me to ruff. I pulled trumps and cashed the top spades to get an idea of opponent distribution. Sapan came up with one heart and two spades, so assuming he does not have a 7 carder diamond he must have a 4 carder club.

Here I made a mistake and forgot to unblock the 9 of hearts in dummy. So when the time came to play on clubs the situation was:


If Vinoth's club is not Q or 10 I am in trouble thanks to my lack of forethought. Fortunately the cards were friendly and we made the slam.

Do you:
1) Think slam should be bid on these cards?
2) Like/Dislike the bidding sequence?
3) Have any ideas on how I should bid holding 4504 shape?

Cheers,
SP.

2 comments:

Ashok said...

I disagree with bidding / having to bid 2C GF (with just four clubs). So assuming you have a reasonable Jacoby sequence, responder can learn of opener's distribution below the level of game, after which keycarding should land you in slam, as here. It's just lucky that a 4-4 club fit was uncovered here. If the reason for avoiding Jacoby is poor controls, then I'd like to know whether you have a way to show a balanced GF hand (which could include 3-card support for the major). There is certainly room for it (2NT) unless you're also playing mini splinters.

The above is not intended to mean that I think responder should dream big the way he did here. Frankly, if I were looking at my so-so 12-bagger, I'd bid 4H blindly at my second turn (having bid 2S or whatever in at my first). And wonder why this sequence should be played at all in Precision—isn't a direct 4H better? It is true that slam looks good with both hands exposed, but you'd only get a shrug from at the end of play.

The East hand is clearly inv+ (6 losers, 6 AK controls) if it can find heart support (esp. 4-card support) with responder, which puts it in the 1C-opening box of hands, according to me. But, playing Precision, you've already put it in a sub-1C box with your opening bid. Which is why I hate Precision. (Give me any hand, I'll somehow make this point.)

GRS86 said...

Ashok, stop writing letters here :P just comment. ;)